Saturday, January 3, 2009
Located in Modhera, Gujarat, it is situated on the bank of the river Pushpavati.
The temple comprises three separate but axially-aligned and integrated elements.
Religious gatherings are held in a magnificent pillared hall that is open from all sides and it has 52 intricately carved pillars.
108 miniature shrines are carved in between the steps inside the tank.
The carvings depict various scenes from the Hindu epics of Ramayan, Mahabharat and Krishna Lila.
It was built in 1026 AD by King Bhimdev of the Solanki dynasty.
It is dedicated to Lord Surya, the Sun God.
Modhera is now the site of several dance and cultural festivals.